Ghee which is also known as clarified butter in Ayurveda is used as an alternative to butter as well as ideal cooking fat which does not unnecessarily burnt unless excessively heated. It is widely employed in the system of Ayurvedic medicine as means of apply herbal preparation treatments to the patients. Ghee is an excellent natural fat which serves as a moisturizer to treat skin conditions such as rashes, burn, and much more after the patients have been diagnosed with these diseases.
Ghee is highly respected in Indian house hold for its medicinal properties to treat many diseases. It is known for improving Agni, the digestive fire that all nutrition depends without provoking Pitta (an optimal elemental fire in the body). Ghee is found as the best match to calm the body anytime of the day.
Ghee processed from cow milk is considered the best to use in ayurvedic herbal preparations. Due to its health benefits, ghee has been incorporated in the diet and Ayurvedic healing practices. Its ability to cleanse the body and promote overall wellness makes it to be considered as both physical and mental purification medicine as it benefits both inside and outside the body and as well used to moisturize the skin. There are many medicinal properties of ghee based on its source. These properties will be handled in this article.
Properties of Ghee
Texts of Ayurveda explain the properties of ghee as follows
The properties of ghee mainly depend on the way, and sources it is prepared as each source of preparation has its unique properties. The properties are discussed as follows:
- Ghee produced from the milk of a cow is studied to be equipped with numerous medicinal properties and usually employed in the Ayurvedic preparations due to the following properties:
- It boosts the strength and energy of the body
- It improves intelligence quotient
- It detoxifies body
- It clears throat for voice clarity
- It enhances memory power
- It is considered to be best form of fat
- It regulates Pitta
- It normalizes Vata that is responsible for many diseases
- It revitalizes the skin to make it glowing
- It nourishes and sustain the body
- It functions as an excellent Rasayana and aphrodisiac . Hence this has been added in Vajikara Lehyam (An Ayurvedic Vajikarana Rasayana for Sexual Dysfunction )
- It increases sperm count and sperm motility. Hence it is added in preparations of Supraja Lehyam (An Ayurvedic Medicine to Increase Sperm Count )
- It enhances digestion and improves body fire
- It is efficient for eye disorders
- It improves quantity and quality of semen
Another type of ghee preparation is the one prepared from buffalo’s milk and it has the following properties:
- It regulates vata and kapha
- It enhances the body to be stronger
- It is useful in eye disorders
- It improves the overall health
- It is a good remedy for IBS, piles or hemorrhoids
- It is good for skin fairness and increases glowing of skin.
Considering the two ghee preparation, the one prepared out of cow’s milk has been researched to have higher medicinal properties compared to that of buffalo’s milk. Ghee made freshly is useful and potent. If ghee is kept for about ten years, it is called “PURANA GHRITA,” and it is universally employed in the treatment of epilepsy and neurologically related disorders.
While the one stored for about hundred years is referred to as “KUMBHA SARPI”. If ghee is stored for more than hundred years, it is called “MAHAGHRITA” and it is widely used to treat a chronic cough and eye disorders.
However, it is not advisable to administer ghee in diseases such as upper respiratory, tuberculosis, and bronchitis as well as when there is more mucous secretion such as in diabetes, indigestion, and fever.
The properties of ghee (clarified butter) all encompass depending on its preparation source. These essential properties have been responsible for its many health benefits. It is also good to know that storage of ghee offers more advantages as it is used to as a remedy for more chronic diseases. In Ayurvedic medicine, ghee is powerful and potent for the treatment of numerous diseases as well as cooking. Reach out for ghee today and enjoy these benefits.