Lodhra or lodh pathani is highly recommended in ayurvedic treatment for female infertility, PCOS or PCOD, acne, pimple, pigments and irregular menstrual cycle
Lodhra is a medium sized tree found all over India. This herb belongs to Symplocaceae family. The leaves are 3-5 inch in length and the flowers which are pale yellow in colour, grow in clusters. The fruits are purple in colour and contain 2-3 seeds inside. This tree has thick brown coloured bark.
Various studies have shown that Lodhra has anti-cancer, hepatoprotective (liver protective) , anti-oxidant, anti-androgenic , anti-inflammatory, wound healing
and anti-diabetic effects. This herb contains phenolic glycosides like symplocoside, triterpenoids like betulinic acid, acetyloleanolic acid and oleanolic acid and flavonoids like quercetin.
Lodhra Different Names
This herb is known by different names in different languages of India. It is known as
It is known as lodh pathani, loot pathani, lodhra in hindi, bengali and marathi. Lodhara in gujarati, Belli Leti in Tamil, Lodhuga in Telagu, pachettu in kannada, pachotti in malayalam.
Ayurveda Health Benefits of lodhra or Symplocos Racemosa
Texts of ayurveda explain health benefits of lodhra as follows.
Lodhra – Symplocos Racemosa -for PCOS and Female Infertility
Ayurvedic Pharmacological Properties:
Based on the principles of Ayurveda Lodhra has bitter (tikta rasa) and astringent tastes (kashaya rasa) . It is light to digest (laghu) and absorbs the moistness from tissue (rooksha) . It has cold potency (sheeta veerya) and normalises Kapha dosha and Pitta dosha.
Health Benefits of lodhra as explained in ayurveda
Ayurveda acharyas praise the health benefits of this herb as follows
‘Trushnahara’ – It relieves thirst when there is uncontrollable thirst despite drinking water.
Arochakahara – Lodhra kindles appetite and is very useful in anorexia
Asrajit – Asra means blood. It is very useful in bleeding disorders such as bleeding piles, excess uterine bleeding, bleeding wounds etc.
Chakshushya – chakshu means eyes. This herb is used in various eye disorders
Jvarahara – Since it has cold potency or sheeta veerya it is useful in reducing body temperature in fever
Atisarahara – This arrests repeated bowel movements as in diarrhoea and IBS
Shothahara – Its anti-inflammatory properties make it useful in pain and swelling, inflammatory conditions.
It is a drug of choice and extensively used in gynaecological disorders like heavy menstrual flow, white discharge (leucorrhoea) etc.
Ayurveda acharyas recommend this herb to treat disorders of female reproductive system, skin diseases and diseases of eyes.
Useful Parts of this plant:
The bark, flowers and seeds are used for medicinal purpose.
Lodhra for Infertility and PCOS in Females (Benefits of Lodhra in PCOS)
A multifaceted benefits of lodhra have been researched and studied. Various researches show that lodhra is beneficial in reducing androgens, lowering blood lipids and blood sugar. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Lodhra-A-Single-Remedy-For-Different-Ailments-Singh/22690b1c958a51fe98a14807527f952623124233 . Hence use of this herb in PCOS or PCOD is very beneficial
Lodhra or lodh pathani is recommended by ayurveda acharya sushruta to treat female reproductive health issues. Ayurveda doctors have successfully used preparations which contain this herb to treat female infertility and PCOS
PCOS are main cause of female infertility. In this condition ovaries fail to produce healthy eggs in periodic intervals. This condition leads to irregular menstrual bleeding, obesity, acne and infertility. Herbs like Ashoka, Lodhra etc help in PCOS. Hence these herbs are used as main ingredient in PCORID CAPSULES AN AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR PCOS or PCOD
Texts of Ayurveda eulogize the benefits of Lodhra in female infertility. Ayurveda acharyas recommend to use this herb along with other herbs like Ashoka, Turmeric, Yasahd Bhasma, Bitter Gourd, Shilajit and Cinnamon. Hence qualified experienced doctors at Moolika Ayurveda have combined Lodhra with all these herbs and formulated PCORID CAPSULES which are the best ayurvedic support for PCOS.
Let us know how Lodhra is helpful in ayurvedic treatment of PCOS or PCOD.
- This herb helps to reduce irregular uterine bleeding which happens in PCOS.
- Its use helps in weight reduction (Check our ayurvedic weight loss treatment combo) and boosts the sensitivity of cells to insulin.
- It boosts the health of endometrium and prevents repeated abortions.
- Extract of Lodhra significantly stimulates FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) along with rise in serum levels of LH (leutinizing hormone) hence improves ovarian functions.
- It boosts immunity of female reproductive system and prevents concurrent microbial infections.
- Its regular use prevents formation of acne which is a common symptom of PCOS
Use of Lodhra Powder in diseases of skin
- They recommend use of decoction of lodhra bark in acne and pimple. Boil bark or powder of lodhra in water. Discard the bark and use the filtered decoction to wash face. Its astringent ant anti-microbial properties help to reduce eruption and infection of acne.
- Ayurvedic physicians recommend dusting of Lodhra powder in eczema and psoriasis. Massage warm castor oil on dry itching psoriatic patches and dust lodhra bark powder on affected parts. This helps to relieve symptoms of psoriasis and dry eczema.
Other medicinal uses of Lodhra:
- The decoction prepared from the bark is given in divided dose of 50-60 ml to treat diarrhoea and bleeding piles. The decoction constricts the smaller blood vessels and controls bleeding.
- The paste of the bark of Symplocos Racemosa is applied over the area affected with localized swelling and wound as treatment.
- The paste of the bark of the plant is applied over the eyelids to treat conjunctivitis.
- The paste of the bark is applied to treat itching, rashes and insect bite cases.
- In cases of discharge from ears, the powder of the bark is sprinkled or blown inside the ear to control the condition.