Fennel seeds have a botanical name Foeniculum vulgare. These seeds belong to carrot family. This plant with yellow flowers and feathery leaves grows in dry soils near the sea-coast and on riverbanks. These highly aromatic and flavourful seeds have found their ways into many cuisines as spice and main herbal ingredient in various herbal preparations. The fennel plant is grown all over India and fennel seeds find a special place in Indian kitchen. Fennel seeds are also known as “saunf” in hindi. Texts of Ayurveda mention this herb by names “mishreya”, “Madhurika and madhura “
The fennel seeds are sweet and spicy to taste. These seeds are light to digest and increase moistness of tissues. It is cold in potency and retains the sweetness even in the end of digestion. These seeds normalise pitta and vata. Hence these seeds are used as carminatives.
Health benefits of Fennel Seeds and Weight Loss:
- Fennel seeds set right the digestion and relieves bloating and flatulence.
- When consumed half an hour before meals it suppresses appetite and thus prevents craving for carbohydrates. The food consumption is reduced and this in turn helps in weight loss. These seeds also help to reduce cholesterol. Apart from these fennel seeds increase the urine output and prevent accumulation of water in body. Water retention increases weight. Hence fennel seeds are mainly used in Moolika Ayurveda Nilobese Ayurvedic Herbal Weight Loss tea to aid weight loss.
- Saunf helps to prevent nausea, vomiting and motion sickness during travelling.
- These seeds help to reduce stomach pain or colicky which occur during indigestion and diarrhoea.
- The seeds of fennel help to relieve painful symptoms of piles or haemorrhoids. Consumption of fennel seeds help in easy bowel evacuation.
- Women who suffer from menstrual cramps can also reap benefits of these seeds. They reduce pain and ease the menstrual flow.
- The seeds of fennel boost body energy level and increase libido.
BUY BEST AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR WEIGHT LOSS